Tell me about it, stud.



I'm not normally a trendoid, but I'm so loving that the biker look is in now. I've always loved strong juxtaposition in fashion, especially when mixing ultra feminine soft pieces with hard edgy ones. A few years ago I found a distressed white leather collar covered in silver pyramid studs in a thrift store in Notting Hill, London. I had to have it, although when buying it I didn't know what I would do with it. I don't have a dog, and I'm not exactly the downtown punk type! When I got home I found the perfect place for it; around the neck of my favorite big brown teddy bear. So redic, I know, but I love that he's this big soft and cuddly bear wearing a hard leather studded collar. (I would take a picture to share with you but my camera broke 2 days ago, so I had to send it out.) Anyway, that being said, tonight I decided to draw this girl wearing a chunky knit scarf paired with a stud detail top.
I've recently been thinking about adding some backgrounds to my work, so I tried it out here. I drew a studded pattern and photoshopped it on in there. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, if I'll add it my etsy shop or not, but I thought I'd share it here and maybe get some feedback from you. Background, yay or or nay? If you do decide to leave feedback, how about taking a stab at where this post title comes from too! ;)

Leave a Comment

RociRincon said...

Hi Brooke, I really love your illustration, and your idea of the studs, but I prefer this one with no background. I also love this look!

Brooke Hagel said...

Thanks for commenting Roci! I agree, I like the idea of a studded background but I don't think I'm loving the execution. At least not on this one.

Anonymous said...

I vote no background too. And it's Grease, right?

Chelsea said...

I love the background... but I love the illustration even more without it. The girl and her clothes are so beautiful, there's no need to clutter it up more!

As far as where the titles from, I have no idea! I feel like it's from Grease though

Brooke Hagel said...

Yup, Grease it is! Sandy says that to Danny right before the last song, if memory serves me. Thank you for the feedback everyone, I'm going to add her to my etsy shop without the background!